Thursday, March 20, 2008

Torture

I wanna write about the movie "Across the Universe" and the book "Birdsong." I wanna go to my friends condo and swim. I wanna go to my apartment and get my flashdrive. I wanna upload some photos onto multiply. I wanna eat sinigang sa bayabas.

But right now, my brain and body feel dull. I have to exert little effort in doing anything. I'm at my antipolo home mostly in bed or just sitting across a tv or a computer screen. I'm too spaced out to organize my thoughts and pictures to post photos and blog. I have to drink my antibiotics. I'm stuck eating rice porridge (lugaw), mashed and moist vegetables, and bread softened in milk.

Yesterday, I had an impacted wisdom tooth extracted and the dentist had to take the tooth beside it, too. Compounding my dilemmas is a sore throat, cough and colds. Hence, i'm avoiding ice cream (a treat for those with tooth extractions) so as not to aggravate my throat. The third complication, as if two were not enough, was low-sugar. I had hypoglycemia (that's what the dentist said) after my surgery. I felt like i was on the brink of collapsing and had the impulse to just hit anything solid close by.

This wisdom tooth extraction was something my dentist wanted to do a year ago, but i didn't have the time due to my dancing commitments. Somehow, one could say this to be my lenten penitence. A gruelling, tortuous experience colored red by blood.

Today, I feel a little bit better. I'm just glad this is my last impacted tooth. I wouldn't know how to deal with the next. They'd have to strap me in the chair, put me to sleep, then give me really strong anesthesia and pain killers galore.

P.S. I cried yesterday. I wondered whether my brother experienced this much pain or more before he died. I hope not.
P.P.S. The song from Little Shop of Horrors kept running through my brain. About the villain, Orin, boyfriend of Audrey, who likes to inflict pain. His mother noticing his sadist tendencies advices him to "Be a Dentist"

You'll be a dentist
You have a talent for causing things pain
Son, be a dentist
People will pay you to be inhumane
Your temperament's wrong for the priesthood
And teaching would suit you still less
Son, be a dentist
You'll be a success

No comments: