Sunday, February 04, 2007

Grappling for Words

Yesterday, I was super tired. I had to do my duties as production assistant, dancer, artist and lecturer all at the same time. We had a total a 4 shows. I was exhausting. But after our 4th show, I was extremely elated.

BP is definitely the best dance company in Manila. And I am a part of that. Side by side the other companies, BP showed that we can transcend different styles and genres of dance with aplomb.

The cherry on top was this German Dancer with Filipino and French blood. He exclaimed that what brightened up his day was the Pas des Deux between myself and rhea. We were extremely funny and fabulous on stage. After that show and watching BP strut it's stuff, he was reminded of why he chose to dance. Hearing that is like.. Oh gosh!.. I am out of a metaphor. I hope you get the picture.

Midnight, I had a 3-way call between my bestfriends and I. It was to greet Louie a happy birthday. He was happy we called. But they always seem to find a way to make me feel bad that I can't be there all the time. Unlike them, I just can't file for a leave and fly to Singapore whenever I want to. The level of commitment required from me for my craft is at it's peak now. They say they understand, but, somehow, I feel that they hold it against me that I am not there all the time.

At this point, I am again at a loss for words

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

whew! 4 tasks/roles?! you almost covered all the facets of a show there! that must be grueling considering that you had that many shows in a day. do you usually have that many? I'm just familiar with the matinee and gala.

just hope that you had a well deserved rest after that day (did I just sound like a mom there? :-P)

Unknown said...

In the Philippines, we do have matinees and galas. We also have morning shows, midnight shows, and everything in between. You are where the audience is and sometimes even where they are absent.

Am I making any sense? I think I am still recuperating.

Let me re-phrase. I have yet to recuperate. Once I get out of one thing, I barely have time to catch my breath for the next.