Friday, April 01, 2005

Light Gloating

Today, I opened and closed my UP play, LIGHT. It has been one of the most palpable experiences I've had in my entire life. After this, I can say I can really act. And do it with bravura.

The playwriting professor who rarely comments on anything except if she doesn't like something told the playwright after the first preview that I was good. And during the second preview that I was perfect for the role. Tonight, she approached me and shook my hand saying, I was very good and did extremely well. She didn't do that to the performers of the other monologues.

My friends who I was afraid might fall asleep within the forty minutes of me just talking remembered most of what happened on stage. They even remembered some lines almost verbatim and remembered all the characters I mentioned and what things in the play represented. From the moment I entered the quadrangle to the moment I exited through them, I was a totally different person, they said.

Of course, I got mixed reactions. Like I know a friend who would have preferred me saying a particular line in a different manner. But he still remembered that line. And he still found the performance good. Anyway, I for one loved the fact that everyone in the audience was silent and listening intently the whole time save for one teenager who dozed off for a minute. I could see it in their eyes every time I spoke directly to people in the audience. They were glued to me. That was important for me.

I hope the playwright submits her play for the Palanca as she was advised to do by her thesis panel after they watched my preview performance. The panel actually thought I was American... hahaha! :)

These are the kinds of things I love doing even without pay. I feel rewarded by just the act of doing it. I love it.

I just hated the fact that the person in-charge for the program was late with the program; and, being late, was not able to include my write-up in it. He got a scrubbing. He said he would print one especially for me. The videographer also failed to come. What was that!?! My only proof are the pictures taken during the show. I will post one when I get my copies. I just remembered I also have a wound from falling during my final breakdown and cuts from all the scratching I needed to do as "Man," plus a hickey also from scratching. All this will stand as witness to tonight's success.

I am super tired now. But I'm on a natural high. Things are still beautiful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's so great about being thought of as an American? Don't you have your own identity? If someone mistook me for a different race or nationality, I will be quick to correct the person. I probably won't even take it as a compliment. Actually, it would actually make me feel degraded!!! One must be proud of one's heritage in order to move towards one's upliftment be it artistic, personal or intellectual. One's heritage makes one's essence!!! Be proud of who and what you truly are and do not hide!!!

Unknown said...

I took it as a compliment because I approached my character as an American. The play was all in English with American slang like instead of saying Pesos, i would say bucks. More importantly, My character's experiences based on the text are very American from his formative years to the lifestyle he led to the career he chose. Thus, I took being mistaken for an American as a compliment because it meant my characterization was effective. Trust me, I love the Philippines. I love being Filipino. And I feel bad that the Philippines is not in tip-top shape in more ways than one.